ABS

Problems with your Mk3 Granada

Moderators: Garry Bottomley, Kevin

c.a.p.r.i

ABS

Post by c.a.p.r.i »

Despite there being no light on the dash I'm sure the ABS isn't working, both fuses and relays have all been tested.
(Don't hear the ABS pump prime like my Father's granada used to upon start up back in the 90s)
The fuse box was stripped and rebuilt not long after acquiring the vehicle several years ago and had no problems
Other than that the car drives faultlessly giving a smooth comfortable ride wherever i go.

Thanks.
davew

Re: ABS

Post by davew »

c.a.p.r.i : Do you mean the pump never comes on ? Pumping the brake numerous (a dozen) times whilst stationary should do that (ie. cause the pump to operate) as the pressure in the accumulator drops......

Best way to see if the ABS is working is in the wet on an empty private road..... Alternatively put different sized wheels front and back (2 0r 3 inches difference in diameter usually does it); ABS senses the difference in rotation speed and 'pulses' (as felt via the brake pedal).....
c.a.p.r.i

Post by c.a.p.r.i »

Thanks for that, i will try pumping the brake pedal like you suggest to see if the pump kicks in. However, I have since changed the ABS module for a spare and there was no change. My cars ABS system is the Teves MK IV

(I upgraded to the 16 inch Granada Cosworth alloys not long after purchasing the vehicle)

Also, is there a part number for the A4LD front gearbox bell housing seal as mine has a fluid leak.

Thanks for the advice.
c.a.p.r.i

Post by c.a.p.r.i »

Just out of interest can the Bluepoint Data Checker 200 fault code reader be used to retrieve codes on the ABS system as well as engine codes?
I happen to have both 100 & 200 model fault code readers, the 100 can be used on the 2.0i SOHC & 2.0i DOHC for engine codes.
An original Ford breakout box and star tester are both rare to find and horrendously expensive to buy.

Thanks.
Garry Bottomley
Webmaster

Post by Garry Bottomley »

Back in the day I remember talk about the Gunson fault reader & an adapter for the ABS fault code reader socket ( by the brake fluid res area ) . Have you tried using the search box for "ABS Brakes" ? . This may be of help to you . Link below

http://ocart.granada-and-scorpio.com/in ... duct_id=73

Garry
c.a.p.r.i

Post by c.a.p.r.i »

Yes, I already have the original Ford book for the Teves MkIV brake system which offers far greater detail than any basic Haynes manual. Already have the old Gunson fault code reader but mines for the 2.0i SOHC engine
Wouldn't mind the original Ford wiring diagrams literature folder for the later Mk3 Granada, I have a fault with the air con circuit that needs looking into.
Also, there are several original Granada RS body kit parts listed on ebay such as the lower rear bumper spoiler.
c.a.p.r.i

Post by c.a.p.r.i »

Plugged in the Bluepoint datacheck 200 into the ABS socket (situated near the brake ABS pump) and it throws up no codes.
The ABS light is lit on the dash clearly suggesting a fault, Is there a way of testing the pump.
The original Ford Technical Service Literature folder on wiring diagrams for the 92-94 Granada would really be helpful.
Garry Bottomley
Webmaster

We have the full wiring manuals in stock .
http://ocart.granada-and-scorpio.com/in ... ry&path=83
c.a.p.r.i

Post by c.a.p.r.i »

That's handy to know as it will make faults much easier to trace. What is the purpose of the diode underneath the auxiliary fuse box where all the plugs go in.
Garry Bottomley
Webmaster

Simplistic explanation .A diode only allows voltage to pass in one direction . They are used to stop backfeeds from one circuit to another .Backfeeds are little devils in D/C circuits .
Garry
c.a.p.r.i

Post by c.a.p.r.i »

Having served an apprenticeship in both Auto Electrics & Mechanics 30+ years ago I'm fully aware of the function of a diode. Spent many years reconditioning both alternators & starter motors and pretty much anything where electronics is involved, I also restore vintage valve radios. However, It just appears somewhat odd to find a random diode within the loom under the auxiliary fuse box.
I can make better sense of things as soon as I get a copy of the wiring diagrams for the car.

As it just so happens I do actually have a complete spare wiring loom from off a late 2.0 DOHC Granada should I need it.
It could well be something as simple as a bad earth connection somewhere come to think about it.
Kaptajnen

Post by Kaptajnen »

How can i see which model of ABS system my car has fitted if i want to buy one of the manuels?
thanks
Garry Bottomley
Webmaster

Hi Kaptajnen.
The Teves Mk II is fitted to all Mk3 24 valves, and all Mk 3 pre face lifts
The Teves MK IV Fitted to non 24 valve facelift Mk 3s .
Please note the store is closed till after 6th April .
Garry
c.a.p.r.i

Post by c.a.p.r.i »

I shall place an order for the wiring manual as soon as your store is open again. I take it payment via bank transaction is OK.
Garry Bottomley
Webmaster

Hi , Will sort that out when store opens again .We also take PayPal & gold bars . :D
Kaptajnen

Post by Kaptajnen »

It always confuses me somehow, that its an aerohatch chassis but from ´93 with the facelift interior. ;)
I will order the mk IV
Thanks
davew

Post by davew »

c.a.p.r.i: Odd that your bluepoint tester does not work with the ABS, maybe it can't decode the ABS codes but is fine with the main ECU ?
Basically all the tester does is earth one pin causing DTCs to emerge from another....

- Try it again with the bluepoint but see if the ABS MIL flashes (aka 'Blink Code' aka 'Paperclip Test') ?

Incidentally this procedure works ok with the Gunson 77032 (as Garry indicated) but the Gunson may just be a smarter unit ?
TEVES 77032.jpg
TEVES 77032.jpg (39.16 KiB) Viewed 69291 times

BTW there are a few such (hopefully not 'random') diodes scattered around the loom, as already stated 'flyback protection' from inductance. higher amperage /switching components - although some (components) have them 'built in' of course
c.a.p.r.i

Post by c.a.p.r.i »

Do let me know when your shop is open so I can place an order for the wiring diagrams/schematics.
Garry Bottomley
Webmaster

The store is now open again . :)