No Reverse A4LD

Problems with your Mk3 Granada

Moderators: Garry Bottomley, Kevin

c.a.p.r.i

No Reverse A4LD

Post by c.a.p.r.i »

I have no reverse on my 2.0 DOHC Granada:
Went to Asda to collect a few groceries, loaded up and selected R and nothing. All the other positions were fine P,N,D,1,2,3 although, i felt it was slightly less responsive than usual in forward...could be slipping/box on it's way out.
(Never actually owned an auto before as i did have plans to convert it to manual)
Picked up a donor box + torque converter from a 72,000 Granada locally and decided to fit the box and what a pig it is to align the torque converter onto the box.
The torque converter did slide on and go back but i'm sure it needs to go back just a bit further (see in the pictures). You can see that the nose of the torque converter is protruding somewhat, there is also a gap suggesting it needs to go back further.
Attachments
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
mk2 cossie

Re: No Reverse A4LD

Post by mk2 cossie »

I'm going to presume that both autoboxes have the torque converter lockup function with an input shaft with a shaft down the middle?

If so, the lockup shaft in the middle will need to be fully home before the torque convertor goes on, or at least gently rotate the torque convertor whilst fitting to see if it needs to engage on the oil pump drive in the transmission front casing ;)
c.a.p.r.i

Post by c.a.p.r.i »

That's right and i have long since resolved this problem, the donor gearbox was fitted along with my original torque converter that was fitted to my car.
The torque converter that came with the donor box refused to slide back all the way back and will be weighed in. The donor gearbox (now fitted) received a new filter along with fresh transmission fluid, all the work was carried out by myself on my back on the driveway and went o.k...doubt most people could even fit under a car.
Just collecting all the parts required to convert it to manual ready for when this gearbox gives up as the A4LD is a pretty crap box.
All work carried out to any of my vehicles is done myself which resolves problems much faster.
It will be displayed at Capesthorne Hall Car Show on Sunday 29th May

Thanks for your interest.
mk2 cossie

Post by mk2 cossie »

Strange thing is, thats not the first time I've heard someone slag off the A4LDe transmission.
Despite the fact the donor car for mine had 90k on it, and I've done another 90k with it as well.
Track days, Santa Pod, even went to Le Mans in it too, all without fault :D
c.a.p.r.i

Post by c.a.p.r.i »

My donor with 72,000 should hopefully prove just as good, with the original costing £££ I have no plans for it to be reconditioned.
You have much more control with a manual and much lower running costs, the donor A4LD either works or it gets replaced with the more practical MT75
Classic Microcars

Post by Classic Microcars »

Late to the party, but this fault could have been resolved easily from underneath. The 1st / Reverse servo seals harden with age. This allows fluid to seep past them, giving the fault you describe. It is generally worse when cold than hot. It is an hour's work to drop the sump, remove filter and servo, reseal the servo and put it all back together. C3 and A4LD suffer from it.
c.a.p.r.i

Post by c.a.p.r.i »

The original box has long gone, just need to replace the input seal as its leaking (mainly when the weather/fluid is warm) Could do with the seal part number.