Scorpio 1993 V6 12v efi Lean condition

Problems with your Mk3 Granada

Moderators: Garry Bottomley, Kevin

davew

Re: Scorpio 1993 V6 12v efi Lean condition

Post by davew »

150K miles means yes there will be quite a lot of 'wear' and also some 'noises' now Kaptajnen ! These cars were engineered to last about 100K miles

Not sure why you would remove the heads though as the lifters are non-adjustable/hydraulic types. If there is any (serious) loss of power do a compression check (?)

However (and others may disagree) but you are into what is usually called the "Law Of Diminishing Returns"....
ie. You could spend 1000s of pounds and 100s of hours to get maybe a 10% increase in power.... possibly ?

PS: Thicker oil can mean the engine runs (slightly) quieter.... but lubrication would be worse at lower ambient temperatures too.
Kaptajnen

Post by Kaptajnen »

Hi Dave
Thanks for your reply; and sorry for my late reply - apperantly i didn't receive a notification of a new reply.

I wouldn't remove the heads; the big ordeal in this were: can the tappets be exchanged without removing the heads, and my own findings were - no, they cannot. ;)
That lead to my follow up, that if the the heads were to be removed in a tappet swap, it would lead to head work also - a job i don't believe is the right thing to do now.
But I was seeking more information, in the place were i find the people with most experience - i.e. the GS forum :D

I believe it runs good, with af nice pull, but it is quite "ringy", and it was reasoned to be the tappets, which is why i was investigating what kind of job it would be.

I only use it during the summer, so a thicker oil could be a solution.

Thanks for taking your time!
its much appreciated.
davew

Post by davew »

No problem Kaptajnen...... don't use oil that is too thick though ! Try 10/40 maybe ?
Kaptajnen

Post by Kaptajnen »

So; the old girl is out of hibernation, a good wash, and applied a Top coat hard wax.
Fresh oil and filter; brakes dissembled, cleaned and put back together and the new cossie wheels are mounted.
Car is booked for a fresh underbody clean and 3 layer Pava tectyl treatment.
A fresh set of slider pins and new rubber should be exchanged the next time rear brakes are cleaned; you always find something to improve :D

I forgot to take a picture while out driving, so one from the shed would have to do ;)
Attachments
IMG_6528.jpg
Garry Bottomley
Webmaster

Post by Garry Bottomley »

Looking good :D :D :D