Moderators: Garry Bottomley, Kevin

Forum rules
Please do not post any ofencive remarks
Garry Bottomley
Webmaster

GSO on DVD

Post by Garry Bottomley »

The old GSO site on DVD . :D :D :D
About to be released the complete Tech forums ( Mk 1, 2 , 3 ) from the GSO site on a browsable DVD . Acts just like the web site with nearly all the tech forums available . A few posts are missing ( these where the corupt files that caused all the trouble ) External links from inside the post are not available but all the data & posts are .
To be released early in the new year , details to follow .

Garry
Kevin

Re: GSO on DVD

Post by Kevin »

you guys need to buy this dvd, Garry has put a lot of work into compiling this dvd and it's really useful to have.
so much stuff on it to help you keep your cars on the road. you know it makes sense :D
davew

Post by davew »

Don't worry Garry/Kevin, many of us are no doubt eagerly awaiting details/price ! And, as they say, 'Please advise soonest' !!

When it was temporarily back up last year I copied a fair amount of the old GSO site myself, a very time-consuming
process - even just for the key Mk3. posts - and so all credit to Garry for now doing this properly on DVD, too.
Garry Bottomley
Webmaster

Available now . I have kept the cost down as much as possible & as always all sales from the shop keep this site open & free to all .

Click The Banner

davew

Post by davew »

Just received my copy, so a quick review: Only of the Mk3 section (although the DVD covers Mk1 and Mk2 also):

As stated by Garry, it is basically a 'mirror' of the 'TECHNICAL PROBLEMS' sections from the old GSO site, so still no 'search' and some links/photos/etc 'lost', but all 10+ years of threads are listed - chronologically - so hundreds of problems (and solutions !) are covered. Handy that you can load all the data (3.3GB) onto your laptop and 'take it with you' too... ie. 'interweb not necessary'... Pity about some of the 'missing' info/photos but still excellent value at £13 ! Overall it is great again to see some of those detailed and informative 'old site' threads (and all the associated data/advice/etc) - from dozens of knowledgeable contributors over the last decade - now consolidated on a huge database that we thought had maybe 'gone forever'....

Thanks Garry, excellent work, don't know why you did not do this sooner !!
Garry Bottomley
Webmaster

Searching the DVD

A simplified search engine has been created for the “GSO Site on DVD” disk to search thread titles

3 separate search documents are available to download.

“ Mk1 Search” covers the Mk 1 Tech forums . 3.31 Mb
“ Mk2 Search” covers the Mk 11 Tech forums . 13.29 Mb
“ Mk3 Search” covers the Mk 111 Tech forums . 73.88 Mb

The process has been made as simple as possible .

Click on the link for the forum you wish to use .
On the download page click “ Download ” .
Select open or save in the download manager using you word reader program
( free word programs such as “Open Office” can be used or “MS Word” )

The save option is recommended as the document will only have to be downloaded once .

Open the document , now open the search function ( usually File / Find ) type in the word or phrase you wish to search for eg bakes , click find . All the threads with that word / phrase should now be highlighted , scroll down the document to the next GSO Header on the L/H side on the R/H side is the page number that post is on EG [1] 2 3 ( page 1 in this case )

Only the thread titles can be searched for not words in the threads themselves, but I hope this makes searching for a subject a little easier on the DVD.

Please let me know how you along and any problems you encounter

Mk1 3.31.Mb
search Mk1

Mk2 13.29Mb
search Mk2

Mk3 73.88Mb
search Mk3